Highcliffe St Mark Science Blog

A to Z Science Experiments

on March 14, 2019

C – Candle Magic

This week you have a challenge with no instructions. Using a plate or dish, a candle, some coloured water and a glass, your challenge is to get some of the coloured water from the dish into the glass without moving the dish or disturbing the water.  If you solve the puzzle why not explain what happened in the comments below then you can come to Mr. Lee’s classroom and claim a prize. I will keep the comments hidden until 22nd March so that nobody peeks at the answer, good luck!

4 Responses to “A to Z Science Experiments”

1. Amelia Sawyer says:

We poured the coloured water onto a plate then put a candle in the middle. We lit the candle and put a glass over the candle. The flame got smaller and smaller then went out, that’s when the coloured water started to rise up into the glass and the candle floated.
    The flame went out because it used up all the oxygen in the glass. We found out that it created a vacuum inside the glass which sucked in the water.

2. Summer Prescott says:

I put my yellow water in the bowl and then put my candle in and lit it. Then I put the glass over the candle and the water started rising. The candle went out and it bubbled. Summer in 3R

• mrleehighcliffe says:

Well done Summer, great work. Check Amelia’s comment too as she has explained what makes the water rise.